blogimage

SEARCH THIS BLOG

Getting in the Holiday Spirit

POSTED BY , ON December 06, 2012, Comments Off

In the marketing department we’ve been working on holiday advertising and communications since September. And what that generally means is that I’m a little burnt out by the time December rolls around. But this year, I decided that I’m going to fight the urge to hide from the mistletoe and experience all the Art Institute has to offer. I’ve watched talented high school and college choirs perform holiday standards on the Grand Staircase (where, for the record, the sound echoes perfectly), listened to one of my favorite museum lecturers give his annual gallery talk on the Christmas story (fun fact: the decaying shelter in Cornelisz’s The Adoration of the Christ Child was probably intended to reference the ruins of King David’s palace), and sampled free hot chocolate in the Member Lounge (for my money, this alone is reason enough to become a member).

So I’m officially back! In the holiday spirit, that is. I’ve yet to get under the Art Institute’s gigantic mistletoe ball, conveniently located in the Grand Staircase, but there’s always next year.

And for those of you who think my week’s activities sound pretty good, you’re in luck! Choirs are performing every week day through December 14 on the Grand Staircase. Jeff Nigro will give his Christmas story tour one more time on December 21 at 2:00. And most importantly, the hot chocolate will be available through the end of the year.

Tags:

Bookmark and Share | Permalink