blogimage

SEARCH THIS BLOG

Wining and Dining

POSTED BY , ON September 26, 2013, 1 COMMENTS

Luncheon on the Grass

Who doesn’t love a good glass of wine? The French certainly do. For centuries, wine has been a quintessential part of the French culture, so it makes sense that wine and its less-French, but still popular sidekick, beer, find their way into the paintings in Impressionism, Fashion, and Modernity.

Strolling through the exhibition, it’s impossible not to place yourself in the paintings and wonder ‘how would I spend an afternoon in Paris?’ What would I wear, what would I do? And the answer for me is pretty simple—I’ll hop into Monet’s Luncheon on the Grass and straight into that polka-dotted frock any day. In this painting, a fashionable group of people (for the record, they’re not in Paris, but in the forest of Fontainebleau) model their very en vogue summer fashions and picnic and lounge their way through what appears to be a lovely summer afternoon. In the bottom left corner of the central panel, a luncheon is spread out on the blanket, complete with a bottle of wine and a flagon of beer to wash it all down. The fact that it all seems so realistic speaks to Monet’s aim to represent a scene of present-day life in the open air, presumably recorded as it was being observed.

Since France is sadly out of the question for me, the next best thing is wine. If you feel similarly, treat yourself to a wine flight at Eno in the InterContinental Hotel created in honor of the exhibition. Check in on Four Square to get a discount on the Impressionism, Fashion and Modernity wine flight, as well as a free ticket to the museum! Hurry! The exhibition closes this weekend!

—Oksana Schak, Coordinator of Tourism Marketing

Image Credit: Claude Monet. Luncheon on the Grass, 1865–66. Musée d’Orsay, Paris, acquired as a payment in kind, 1987, RF 1987-12.

Bookmark and Share | Permalink

One Response to “Wining and Dining”

1. globehutners says:

How can we deny that wine and beer are part of our life, culture and way of being. The French, like other European cultures, live by it, love it, grow it and consume it on a daily basis, and art in my opinion does just too well in exhibiting the everyday life of normal citizen from these part of the world.